Getting healthy meals on the table in a hurry takes less time than you might think. It’s all about being prepared. Writing a grocery list before going to the store will save you time and money and help you shop only for the foods you need.
- Plan your meals and do your shopping ahead of time.
- Stock up on basics such as vegetables and fruit, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta and brown rice, milk, yogurt, cheese, lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
- Use frozen or canned products to help speed up preparation time. For example, canned or bottled tomato based pasta sauces, frozen or canned vegetables, frozen or canned fruit, bagged salad greens, canned tuna or salmon, canned beans or lentils.
- Prepare foods in advance. Cook double the rice and freeze leftovers for another meal. Cook twice the chicken or ground beef you need and keep extras to make chicken salad, enchiladas, chili or spaghetti sauce the next day.
- Cook up a big batch of soups, stews, casseroles, pasta dishes, cooked ground beef and pizza dough to keep in the freezer.
It’s great that you’re preparing your meals in advance, however also remember the importance of food safety and storage. Read these food handling tips to help keep you and your family safe.
Need some help from your phone? Download the app eaTracker!
eaTracker can help you track your eating and activity choices, analyze your recipes, plan your meals and set goals for healthy eating and physical activity.
eaTracker users can:
- do a quick search for food and activities, get feedback and track progress over time
- save favourite foods and meals
- analyze, save and compare recipes
- access delicious recipes as well as fitness and nutrition tips to help learn how to eat well and keep active.
Having trouble choosing healthy packaged foods? Look at the nutrition facts table on the package.